Sunday, February 23, 2014

Ho Chi Minh's Central Post Office


After Baguio, I again found myself getting caught up with rain showers in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam. Roughly two months after. The rain must be persistent in trying to test my will. But I could only respond with giddiness and spontaneous glee as I ran around under the rain, with my hand nestled in somebody else's.

The only concern that surfaced was for the circumstantial things we had, namely my camera and our phones. Otherwise, we could have easily soaked up the rain, both literally and figuratively.

But I may be the only one who's truthfully up for it, I suppose. So when the threat of rain was a matter to be reckoned, Breinn and I dashed towards the Central Post Office, joining the crowd that's already gathering there.




Ho Chi Minh's Central Post Office is located near Notre Dame Cathedral. The coincidental placement  of these two beautiful architecture is evident when one stands at the garden square in front of the church. These are two of the long-lasting reminders of the French colonial influence over Saigon, the old name of Ho Chi Minh City.

Ho Chi Minh was a communist revolutionary leader in Vietnam and it was only in 1976 when this Southern Vietnamese city became his namesake.

You can see a large portrait of Ho Chi Minh, hanging at the center of the post office's great hall.



The post office is more than just a regular post office. Apparently. The building is actually massive that if it solely handles mail services, it must handle millions of 'em. But since this historical edifice is naturally a point of interest to the transients, there are also shops to while away their time. There are ATMs that come in cool booths, which strangely remind me of a portal where you can teleport into wherever you please.


As for me, I'm sticking around. For I am already where I need to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment