Sunday, February 7, 2016

2015 Travel Roundup

Melbourne, Australia
Melbourne, Australia

Oh that was fast! I mean 2015. It was a year when I slowed down in booking plane tickets, but I still spent a good amount of my days stress testing Skyscanner. Yes dear friends, fuelling our dreams can be in so many ways. There are times when we seem to veer away from where we're supposed to go, but small detours can also be as exciting. What is important is we are happy in living the moment while holding on to our dreams. I believe that the small things that we do today make up into something larger in the future. Let us all have faith and have the zeal to move forward.

I know I am already a month late for this post but I hope the wonderful travel memories I made in the past year, can inspire me more in the remaining months of 2016 and hopefully, yours too.


February in Langkawi, Malaysia


Langkawi, Malaysia
Langkawi, Malaysia

Breinn was here in the first quarter of the year and he came just before the Lunar New Year holidays. Knowing that we would likely be confined at home if we chose to stay here in Singapore, I obstinately booked our flights to Langkawi, even if it meant paying way more than we should have. But it was one of our most unforgettable trips together so, that made up for the hefty price.


May in Johor Bahru, Malaysia


Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Johor Bahru, Malaysia

My sister visited me next and since we had a couple of days free before we would fly to Bali, my sister and I braved the 2-hour long immigration queues in getting to Johor Bahru, the nearest border of Malaysia from Singapore. It was during the Labour Day weekend and deluge of people cramped in both countries' checkpoints. Spell nightmare. It was our first mini trip together for my sister and me, and we survived! To appease my sister's expectations, I told her that we were doing it the local way and not something, everyone would easily parade in social media.


May in Bali, Indonesia


Bali, Indonesia
Bali, Indonesia

Finally, we flew to Bali for our first official trip together! I am older than my sister by six years, so growing up we had different set of friends and moved in different circles. It's only now that we reach to our tangents. And we both can't wait for more trips together!


August in Myanmar


Bagan, Myanmar
Bagan, Myanmar

As much as I enjoy travelling with Breinn, my sister, and friends, I can't help myself from snagging a return ticket for one, when that nagging feeling of going somewhere torments me no end. I am grateful to the brilliance of words in justifying my grand five days in Myanmar.


September in Cameron Highlands, Malaysia


Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Cameron Highlands, Malaysia

The country which I have the most number of stamps on my passport, has got to be Malaysia. With its proximity to Singapore, I tend to find myself in Malaysia quite often. And Cameron Highlands had been on my imaginary checklist for so long but it would be exhausting to only do it over a weekend, considering the 8-hour bus ride from Singapore. Then, a 3-day weekend came and paved the way for it to finally happen and Cameron Highlands was worth the wait.


November in Victoria, Australia


Healesville Sanctuary in Victoria, Australia
Victoria, Australia

I had been forgoing Australia from my list, in favour of other countries. But last year, I headed down under as my concluding trip in 2015, before I would fly home to the Philippines during the Christmas holidays. I only went around the state of Victoria, mostly in Melbourne where a friend is now based. On that trip, I realised that the kangaroos and I have a lot to work on the friendship department.

--

I saw my trips dwindled down in 2015 and this year might be no different, as I concentrate on my and Breinn's plans. Major trips might be sacrificed in the meantime but since I'm the type of person who is in dire need of breathers always, a little tweak of the imagination would do the trick. Travel for me, doesn't mean forking out a lot of money to see places; but the lasting memories I create from my experiences even on the most mundane things, are what I value most. Travelling locally, perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment