Saturday, September 26, 2015

Palatine Hill

Palatine Hill, Rome

Palatine Hill is one of the seven hills in Rome although today, these hills are no longer evident due to the many structures crowding the city. Palatine Hill can be accessed through the Roman Forum since the admission ticket already covers both. Always eager for good deals, I shrugged off the heat and bravely embraced the sun's shining glory, as I climbed my way up the hill.

The terrain of the hill is just easy and is favorable for a relaxing stroll, with many trees providing a quick respite from the heat. What I saw mostly was all greens and ancient ruins scattered around the place. It definitely looked rustic to my eyes and it felt like I was magically transported to the countryside!

Palatine Hill, Rome

Palatine Hill, Rome

Palatine Hill, Rome

Palatine Hill, Rome

Palatine Hill, Rome

Palatine Hill, Rome

Palatine Hill, Rome

Palatine Hill, Rome

Palatine Hill, Rome

Palatine Hill, Rome

Palatine Hill, Rome

I almost forgot that I was in Rome and I couldn't believe that in the midst of the hustle and bustle of this ancient city, is a breathtaking scenery. Unlike in the Roman Forum, I was on my own in the Palatine Hill. Trusting my feet to wherever it may lead me was the only way to go that time.

As there are a few more ruins in the hill, I tried to fill myself in with the details, by reading some of the concise description near a certain structure. But after two years, the details were lost on me. So... shall we just look into my pictures instead? haha

Palatine Hill, Rome

Palatine Hill, Rome

Palatine Hill, Rome

Palatine Hill, Rome

Palatine Hill, Rome

Oh please don't judge me with my photo above. I am confirmed to be shameless. Face palm. At least, you can tell that the man in the photo, is of the same pose as me or it might be that he didn't want to get involved with whatever nonsense I was up to, that he needed to look towards a different direction. haha

To normalize your thoughts, I will just talk about a little bit of history or mythology rather, of the Palatine Hill. I just want to lay it out there that I got this from the internet and not from my feeble memory. Because I fairly know my own weaknesses. Anyway, it is believed that the city of Rome was founded in this hill. Legend has it that the infant twins, Romulus and Remus were washed up from the Tiber River and they ended up at the foot of the Palatine Hill. A she-wolf then took care of them in a cave in the hill. Fast forward to when the twins became adults, Romulus ended up killing his twin brother, Remus after a heated argument. As you might have guessed it by now, Rome got its name from the vicious Romulus.

The archaeological discoveries in the hill date back to prehistoric times and some were even ruins of the imperial palaces, that stood mighty and imposing during the Roman Empire. The elevation of the hill could have provided a domineering facade of the empire back in the day, but it is without a doubt that it also provides a spectacular view of today's Rome.

Palatine Hill, Rome

Palatine Hill, Rome

Palatine Hill, Rome

Palatine Hill, Rome

Palatine Hill, Rome

Palatine Hill, Rome

Palatine Hill, Rome

Palatine Hill, Rome

I was scaling the hill almost in its every corner, I mean slope, save those who have no admittance of course. After having covered a considerable distance, I then managed to reach this lookout, offering a grand view of the Colosseum.

Palatine Hill, Rome

Palatine Hill, Rome

Palatine Hill, Rome

I lost track of time in the hill but I think I must have spend a very long time exploring, that if I were on a bus tour, my tour group would have left without me. Now, it's time to cap off with an overpriced gelato while I wait for my cousin from the Vatican. And Colosseum, you're up next!

No comments:

Post a Comment