Saturday, August 1, 2015

United Kingdom in 8 Days

Buckingham Palace

September of last year, I incorrigibly flew to London without knowing a single soul there, except maybe the royal family and the guys from Hogwarts. But I didn't want to impose myself on their hospitality so, I decided to go about the United Kingdom on my own. It was easier that way. Okay. Okay... Let me drift away from this fanciful thought or shall I say, delusion? haha Face palm.

Well, it's true that I didn't meet anyone whom I personally know there. I was even being blunt to the Immigration Officer in Heathrow, when she asked me if I'm traveling with someone or if I'm staying with family or friends in London. Still groggy from a long-haul flight, I simply replied no each time. After a few more questions later, it's a good thing she didn't tell me to fly back to the other side of the world. It would be heartbreaking, to say the least.

But let's not dwell on something that did not happen because shortly after that, I was making my way through the London underground, with the smallest train I have been on, ironically and oddly enough. (Train cars are supposed to be big in the Western side, right?)

Small underground trains aside, here's what was up with me while in the UK. Although I had only been around England and Scotland, I'd like to consider it to already encompass the UK just adequately.


Day 1 (Saturday) - London, England


St. James's Park


St. James's Park

While waiting for my scheduled time to visit the Buckingham Palace, I fought the jet lag by breathing in some greenery.


Buckingham Palace


Buckingham Palace

Definitely, this was the first thing that I intended to visit and the park was only an accidental detour. So the palace was like last time in the Eiffel TowerAgad agad dapat!


Westminster Abbey


Westminster Abbey

What's jet lag? From the palace, I leisurely walked towards the abbey while grabbing my late lunch along the way.


Houses of Parliament (Where the Big Ben is!)


Houses of Parliament

I was indeed on a walking spree on my very first day. But the Houses of Parliament, also known as the Palace of Westminster is just right across the abbey so why not?


London Eye


London Eye

And on the other side of the River Thames, is the London Eye! Camera shy si kuya.


Trafalgar Square



I hopped on a bus and ended my day in Trafalgar Square. This is a good example of how important it is to be cautious of your actions as an adult. No climbing for you kiddo.


Day 2 (Sunday) - London, England


Tower of London


Tower of London

Digging a bit of history and some Game of Thrones feel, I headed over to the Tower of London on my second day.


Tower Bridge


Tower Bridge

It was only then I knew that the Tower Bridge is a completely different bridge from the London Bridge.


London Bridge


London Bridge

And this is the much less grandiose bridge that spans across the River Thames, just next to the Tower Bridge. What a surprise!


St. Paul's Cathedral


St. Paul's Cathedral

Crossing the London Bridge (although stopped a bit for a fruit and free wifi hehe), I arrived at the St. Paul's Cathedral with a number of people basking under the sun in its garden. Lubos-lubosin nyo yan.


Millennium Bridge


Millennium Bridge

My third bridge for the day, a recently put up footbridge across the River Thames. Yes, I had been crossing the river back and forth!


Shakespeare's Globe


Shakespeare's Globe

The modern reconstruction of the Global Theatre, back in the heydays of Shakespeare. I didn't go inside though.


River Thames


River Thames

Noticing a ferry terminal near Shakespeare's Globe, I immediately decided to take a boat towards the London Eye (well, not that boat in the photo). And oh IBM! It's been a while.


London Sunset


London Sunset

Can you believe that there's such thing as a beautiful sunset flooding over London? Darn, it was magical!


Day 3 (Monday) - Edinburgh, Scotland


Edinburgh Castle


Edinburgh Castle

On my third day, I took a 4-hour train ride from London to Edinburrr-ah and made a terrible gaffe of trusting a 2D Google map because mannn.... I didn't know that everything near the castle is an uphill climb from the train station! So when I climbed all the way to the top of this mountain that is Edinburgh, I shrugged off my jacket because I was perspiring after hauling my luggage to my hostel. I never knew my sweat glands would come alive in the cold!


Walking around the Royal Mile


Edinburgh, Scotland

I came to Scotland with some tough luck because aside from this epic of a climb, my camera also died on me in the castle and gave me a harrowing "Lens error!" every time I tried to turn it on. Gahhh! And when it miraculously did work, I hastily went around Edinburgh and took a photo like in every step.


Day 4 (Tuesday) - Scotland


Highlands Day Tour


Glen Coe, Scotland

I spent my second day in Scotland inside a van and did the highlands tour along with other people and a driver/tour guide who quite had an interesting character. 


Day 5 (Wednesday) - Edinburgh/London


Wicked the Musical


Wicked The Musical in London

The following day, I traveled from Edinburgh back to London and when I arrived in a particularly hot London, I decided to rest a bit until it's time for Wicked the Musical. Since Scotland has a colder weather, it was slightly an adjustment. Choz lang.


Day 6 (Thursday) - Wiltshire/Bath, England


Stonehenge


Stonehenge in Wiltshire, England


Bath City


Bath, England

As much as I want to experience a certain place at my own pace, there are circumstances that leave me no choice otherwise. Because I can't drive, I availed a day tour prior to my actual trip, which consisted of Stonehenge and Bath. I originally booked for Stonehenge, Windsor, and Salisbury but it got cancelled.


Day 7 (Friday) - London, England


Greenwich


Greenwich, London

I already found a penchant for the River Thames, that I again took a boat to reach Greenwich. I was supposed to take just a regular passenger boat but I found the tourist boat terminal first and who cared, I was a tourist alright! The above photo of an adorable couple was at the Royal Observatory in Greenwich and they are stepping on the Prime Meridian!


River Thames (Tower Bridge again!)


Tower Bridge, London

Because I bought a return ticket from that tourist boat company, I was again among the vacationing pensioners. And it's dead impossible to pass up as a daughter of one of the couples. But even it felt like I was the odd one out, seeing the Tower Bridge in action was a win!


Borough Market


Borough Market

Oh Borough Market, where do I begin with you? You are a sensory overload! My loot was a punnet of locally-grown strawberries that was only £2!


Day 8 (Saturday) - London, England


British Museum


British National Museum

Many museums in London are for free but I only had time for one, which was the British Museum. The museum has displays from all over the world, which got me thinking how they seemed to comb the world for these antiquities. Hmmm...


Camden Town


Camden Town

Lastly, I went to Camden Town for some souvenirs and some real British scones. I was easily delighted when I chanced upon a food festival, showcasing dishes from all over the world! It was indeed a perfect ending for this week-long visit to the UK.

--

And just like that, I dragged my luggage back to Heathrow, waited for my plane and finally flew back to Southeast Asia. Perhaps, see you again London?

No comments:

Post a Comment