Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Sacré Cœur de Montmartre

Basilica of  the Sacred Heart of Paris

Keeping the ground running, we went to our last agenda for the day while taking advantage of our endurance before jet lag kicks in. Sacré Cœur Basilica is located in Montmartre district in Paris. It sits on top of a hill which is the highest point in the city. So, if you want panoramic view of Paris for free, just head over to this hill in Montmartre. And for more sweeping views (because you can't just get enough), you can likewise climb the dome of the church but for a fee.

Paris has been kind to us, the neophytes for we navigated the city in a breeze. Thanks to the city's public transportation that is really convenient. One can figure it out easily even with zero French knowledge. Even though, I don't like crowds in general but this time, I was grateful because the tourist crowd had led us the way from the Metro to the church without us getting lost among the narrow Rues. We couldn't imagine mouthing Sacré Cœur to a local that we might ended up saying just Sacred Heart to save us from obvious shame. haha

Carousel seems to be a big thing in Paris. And that's the beautiful church right there! 

Not so many people in these steps.


Taking a moment first before climbing all the way to the top.

Ahhh... Paris!

The French surely knows how to maintain their greens.

And there! The crowded steps!

But a photo nonetheless.

I don't know if it was the jet lag surfacing but I got so overwhelmed by the crowd that I didn't go with my cousin to the church. I stayed at these steps, just sitting and trying to breathe in and breathe out. I think I have a serious case of crowd-induced anxiety.

The whole place was in a festive mania, with a performer entertaining the surrounding audience just outside the church! It doesn't help that I am small that I had no idea what's going on. haha

How could I even miss this???

There was dancin' alright! It was so cool that people were participating!
Now, where's my partner? (And as if I can dance! lol)

The crowd that time was really a force to be reckoned with!

Had to shift another view towards this pretty structure across the church.

And here it is, the magnificent Basilique du Sacré Cœur.

Yes, the crowd was maddening but it was all worth it. My only regret was that I succumbed to my anxiety that I didn't go inside the church. Maybe next time?



If you're looking for the Eiffel Tower, it is supposedly on the right side of the frame but it was difficult to see the tower at this elevation. You can, however, see the Montparnasse Tower, which used to be the tallest skyscraper in Paris until 2011. The tower faces the Eiffel Tower. They're like best of friends since 1973. 

More Paris posts to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment