Saturday, January 7, 2012

the christmas season in a not so far away land

the not so far away land is just 4 hours away by plane from home. though those hours can mean shelling out more money than my comfort during the christmas season. so, i stayed in this little red dot in the globe which is singapore!

it was the first time i was away from home during christmas. not that we really have such a big celebration in our family. it's more of the time that we spend together because all throughout the year each of us has our own affairs. my brother and i engulf with our work in separate locations. my sister with her studies while my parents are back home nurturing the future generation of the philippines.

it's also the time that we will be able to catch up with our relatives, bond with them and give small gifts to each other for it's the spirit of gift-giving after all. for the past 3 years or so, every christmas i come up with some little things that i can give to my relatives who are simply living the rural life sans the city's rat race. that would have to forgo in 2011 and good thing, my brother was there to fill that post.

Christmas 2011

it wasn't really a very dramatic christmas in which i would be all alone in my room, crying my heart out with no one to talk to over the phone or in the internet because everyone would be fussing all around at home. but probably for a minute, it kinda hit me but not that hard for i was able to spend my christmas with my cousins who are already based here in singapore for many years. i had myself adopted by them during the christmas eve, went to mass, and overloaded my body with much carbo to last me a month!


singapore is extravagant with their christmas decorations, huge christmas trees in almost every huge mall all over the city-state. yes, the flamboyant display is much evident but it's not at par with the celebration at home. :) i guess at home, it's the christmas spirit and everyone and i mean everyone is beaming with delight on their faces! the misa de gallo (early dawn masses) for 9 days before the christmas eve. everywhere you look, it's definitely christmas!

although here, there are also night masses for 9 nights at 8pm which are mainly celebrated by the filipinos. i attended a night mass once and the church was filled with filipinos! catholic churches in singapore take turns in holding the night masses. so, at a time there would only be 3 to 4 churches celebrating the mass across the state. and many of the filipinos really go to the different churches just to complete the 9 days or nights rather. it's however easier since transportation here is way much convenient than ours. :(

New Year 2012

i don't have much fuss over new year because usually, my family just stays at home, binges on food, lights up a few firecrackers, talks and then sleeps! i never had my new year's eve in the city so in my existence, my new year is rather quiet and very much safe.



new year's eve for many people equates to parties, booze and all that. and yes, singapore is no different. together with extended friends, i greeted the new year in sentosa near the siloso beach but not quite. a party till sunrise is regularly being held along the beach in sentosa every new year. we didn't really go to the beach but like several people, we just had a small picnic right beside the entrance gate towards the all-night beach party. we're too uptight on spending much in partying. :D nonetheless, we reveled on the 5-minute fireworks display.


here's the siloso beach at daytime. i actually took this picture when i went there on christmas day with my cousins. it looks pretty decent in the picture, with the seemingly white sands. the water did not appeal to me however. but i appreciated the ambiance and yes, it's still a beach!

--

it was an experience having to spend the christmas season far away but i will most probably go home this year and in the coming years. well, hopefully...

o-O

No comments:

Post a Comment